Monday, May 10, 2010

Nimes

Hello. Still typing with the french box so bear with me!

This weekend was a relief. I had so much fun with a bunch of new people. Saturday morning I caught the train to Nimes and Abbie the american girl met me there. We just walked around for a bit and she showed me the sites. Nimes is a very beautiful city, lots of canals, trees and art. Got to meet the family she is living with. The mother speaks a little english. The daughter is autistic and the other one, the dude, is mute with a disability I forgot. So communicating was interesting. Later that night abbie's friends from england and germany came over along with some french guy they know, who turned out to be an awesome guy. He's a carpenter and he took us to a really old house he was renovating in town which was interesting to see... well once he explained it all I guess. The fun began after that when we all headed to a party their friend was throwing. It reminded me a lot of the more artsy parties at uncg that I miss... meaning ones where you actually have good conversations, play games etc while enjoying your favorite brew. I love to meet new people and in this case when they find out you are american it makes it that much easier.

An hour or two roles by and everyone decides to head out to the club. definitely not my scene lol. i'm just glad it was free. to be honest i was dreading it, but i think thats because I have the way people dance in america engrained into my head. I was pleasantly surprised to see how girls dance here... with more rhythm, its almost swing style, and better than the dry humpin I usually see. Soo yeah that was fun. Took more pictures than anyone should. One weird thing was I never saw a line for the bathroom and this is why: When one drinks something, usually you need to take a leak afterward, and tonite was no exception. I ask the french guy if a certain door was the toilet and he just shakes his head a motions for me to follow him. We go to an alleyway just behind the place and instead help continue the life of a poor plant with our generosity. When I look down the street its full of other guys doing the same. It kinda startled me for a second when the lights on the car next to me blinked. I dont think the guy was too happy with me either because he put it in reverse and tried to squish me against the plant in its giant boxlike planter. Was time to split. But, thats apparently how nightlife goes in France, and I wondered why the streets here smell so bad....

Just one thing interesting I noticed while there is that I FINALLY know what international students feel like when they have to talk to each other in english. It felt so awkward everyone speaking french in the group when i knew it wasnt their language but you had to to communicate. Its kinda cool at the same time because as the night wore on you began to speak and understand so well that you honestly wouldnt be able to differentiate hearing english or french.

So today, Sunday, I left Nimes to meet Sam for the day in Avignon. It was really nice catching up. We went to the castle where the frenchie closed the door in our faces last time and it was definitely worth it. Although, on the bus on the way there, we were wondering if it actually was... because a homeless couple smelled soo bad one girl went around and opened every single window. I mean it was... bluhhh I honeslty believe a cockroach, or something else hard to eradicate, could meet its end with that stench. But we perservered. We're survivors. We didnt pay either which I thinkk came back to bite us later because we were waiting for the same bus on the way back but the dude drove right by us and the stop. Touché. So that led to a wonderful hour long unnecessary walk back to the train station! arrived just five minutes before my train left.

So more happened this weekend but honestly im not motivated enough right now haha soo ill see if i cant get another video done loaded up on here. I've had one eye closed and the other half open while writing this so i think bed is calling my name. Though here it says it like Daveed :P

No comments:

Post a Comment