Monday, May 31, 2010

:) Just about covers it

Man oh man things are looking up. This past weekend was nothing short of amazing I think.

Friday was a day full of trains for me. I went to meet the girl I'm seeing here, in Montpellier down on coast for the day. I wasn't going to be able to because I didn't think I'd have enough time but things always seem to work out for the best. We met at the station and she showed me the city... we spent a good part of the day looking for a park to just relax in but couldn't find one that wasn't 'hyperbondé'. But nevertheless, good times were had and I was sad to say goodbye. I then headed to Marseille for the weekend. So it was... take train from my town to Avignon (40min), wait, take train to Montpellier (2hr)...zippiddy zip day goes by.. then anotherrr train to Marseille (and another 2hrs). Can get expensive, but I'm starting to not buy as many tickets as before and take my chances with the conductors.

SO, got to Marseille and took about 3 hours to find the place I was staying. In fact, its only a 10 minute walk from the station I just decided to choose the wrong direction. Typical fashion for me. I stayed with the same couple I had couchsurfed with a month ago. In France it is not polite if you come to someone's house empty handed so I stopped by a bakery and picked up a baguette and some mille feuille <-- delicious delicious scrumptious cake.

Saturday we headed out early to the Calanques to do some climbing! The hike was a long one from where we parked but it was worth it. It was my first multi-pitch climb... the cliff was probably around 500-600ft, and over 1,000 from the water, which made for beautiful views. So we reviewed a little bit at the bottom for how to set up the anchors and belay someone below you (normally when you belay they are climbing above so its different). As amazing as the climb was I did poop my pants twice... or at least I almost did. Two close calls: The first was a rock slide that happened just to the left of us. Verrrry unnerving because you're hundreds of feet up hanging off the side of a cliff and you hear what sounds like thunder with nowhere to go. The second was when I was climbing and took a fall... but when I fell my leg got tangled in the rope on the way down and when I stopped it flipped me upside down and I almost fell out of my harness :/ At that point I began to get a little nervous because that particular section was very difficult climbing and I didn't want to fall again haha.





But after we reached the top we hiked alllll the way down to the water to this little bay with beach shacks and boats and people laying out. And it was there I witnessed my first nude beach in France! it didn't disappoint, though it was quite awkward at first just because it caught me off guard. We took a dip and the water was like the titanic minus life preservers and not enough boats.. oh and the sinking ship. But it was a nice break from the heat. Speaking of which, I got toasted... and walked through a million prickly bushes just to aggravate it :) The rest of the day was spent climbing a shorter cliff but much much harder, on the other side of the water. However there was a peculiar site, one I haven't seen climbing --v



The hike out was again brutal, especially being a lobster by this point. But ahhh it felt so good to climb again after two months off.

Now I'm back 'home', Sunday. It is mother's day here so some people were over, but I just avoided them and took a nap. I needed one after the train I was on decided to pass my town and go to Avignon... so I had to wait 2 hrs before I could catch yet another train back to my town then walk that oh-so-lovely mile or so to my house :) But hey, I'm leaving Thursday.. and I get to see homegirl again Tuesday so I'm not complaining! So until then, cheers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment