Sunday, May 2, 2010

Hurry up and Wait

So received some bad news a couple nights ago, my grandfather passed away :( The family is headed down there today. I'm sad I can't be there.... Wish I had known the last time I visited was the last time I was going to see him. So got that on my mind.

But on a happier note Glenn is here! He got in last night. I ended up having to take a train to Avignon because the buses weren't running. It turns out the day we decided on happened to be a no-work holiday in France. The only one of the year. I guess the two hour lunch breaks everyday were wearing on them.... So after waiting a few hours on this hoodini bus I bought a two-way ticket to Avignon. I thought I was going to have to wait another hour or so for Glenn's train to arrive but when I stepped off there he was... turns out we had been on the same train lol. We didn't know it went through my town. Which got me thinking, how many times in our lives have been really close (physically) to someone we knew, but we'll never know that they were there as well.

So today we got up and went into town and walked around the market for a few hours. Had some deliciousness that is the ice cream here. Eventually we made our way to Avignon to see the sites. Now I hadn't been to Les Angles yet, which is right across the river, so we decided to check it out because we saw a huge castle. Well a few unnecessary miles of a detour later we found the area we were looking for. But as soon as we try to walk in, the douche of a gate guard closed the door in our faces. There were people like 10 feet in front of us he let in but when it came to us he said it was too late for visiting. ummm?? so we were pissed and tried to sneak in the exit. Our tactical insertion was a success. That is until we made our way up the tower and were turned around by a guard following the last people through. The thought had occurred to us we could have chilled in the pitch black munitions room and just been locked in the castle for the night and had fun.

Dejected we left and tried to find a bus back because it was getting late and we didn't want to miss the last train back to L'isle-sur-la-Sorgue. Well it turns out there was only one bus left that day.. period. And we were pretty nervous either it wasn't coming, because you never ever know in France, or we had missed it, because between the two of us neither had brought a watch. This explains my happiness in the video of saving us a couple hours of walking back.







So tomorrow we're off to Marseille till tuesday. It'll be my first time couch surfing so I'm excited about that!

3 comments:

  1. you sound like you're having the best time ever. i wish i could visit you while you are there!! miss youuu!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. im sorry about your grandfather. let me know if you need anything?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you kendall!!! Milk-shake? ;)

    ReplyDelete