Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Vive la liberté! Yeah, well not here.

Well today was one for the books for sure. Ugh where to begin... probably with me waking up, yeah. So I did. I woke up. Which is always a good way to start your day, I feel.


I hop in the shower and try to shake off my headache from all the pounding on the wall next to my head all morning long (they're renovating the bathroom). I manage to shake it off and it goes down the drain. Headache free, and I'm fresh. I had to hurry though because I needed to meet the agent for my stay here (Malow) at one o'clock in Orange, France. It is not too far away but it's still no small undertaking. I have to walk 30 minutes to the station, take a train to Avignon, then another different train to Orange. And of course it would be raining. The reason I was going is because the mother here called Malow while I was in Marseille complaining about me. So the agent lady called me and told me to meet her.

She picks me up and we go to a cafe. She does not look happy. We get to talking and I tell her my side of things and we come to the conclusion that I need to be with a new family. Woo! I didn't even realize that was an option. But after the things the mom complained about, which was such crap and infuriated me, I do not want to stay here with her. So Malow is looking for a replacement family and will get back to me. Needless to say the next week or two will be quite awkward around the house.

After our talk she showed me around Orange and the roman ruins there, as well as their version of the arc de triomphe. Quite nice.

It came time to go home. I purchased my ticket and hopped on the next train back to Avignon. At least I thought I did. I sat down and struck up a conversation with a guy in my compartment (like the trains from harry potter lol, but unfortunately no one saying "Annnything from the trolley?" ). It was amazing because it lasted at least 20 mins and was the first time I had no problems at all speaking! Amazing feeling. There is definitely a steep curve with language, a good one in this case. so yea we were talking and the train stopped. which would have been okay if I was on the right train. I realize this, say au revoir, and bolt off the train just as it was leaving.

I'm now at a tiny station in the middle of nowhere with one other person. I ask him when the next train is coming, and he told me not for a couple hours! whhhat?? poopsticks. He notices my accent and asks where I'm from. Charlotte I tell him. Turns out he lives in Atlanta working with a mining company there. It confused me when he said he was visiting France for a week haha, but it then made sense. He was waiting for a while too so we had good conversations about the two countries, cities here, cities there, girls here vs girls there, etc. Swapped facebooks because he actually has most of his family in my town here, so we might hang out later. I believe everything happens for a reason, my incompetence with train tickets would classify. So met a genuinely cool person when i thought things were going badly. But anywhoo, eventually got back to the house. Everyone seemed unusually happy and I haven't figured it out yet. I don't think the agent called because they didn't bring it up, so I walked around all night in an unsure awkwardness. and then watched the marseille vs. someone else soccer game while downing some tasty mentos. yum.

cool. well thats all. sorry for the rant!

No comments:

Post a Comment